Wednesday 20 November 2013

Impromptu Sydney Trip (9th & 10th March)

So a little impromptu trip to Sydney, decided upon just two days before going. Not really sure why I went. Just to get away for the weekend I suppose. 4hour train each way though.

In typical Rachel style I did a lot of wandering; through the Botanical Gardens, which I have to confess I didn’t think were anywhere near as good as some of the gardens I’ve wandered around back in the UK.









From there my wanderings took me to the Opera House. Amazing how many people use that particular path for their morning jog. There is no denying how impressive a building the Opera House is. Up close all the different parts, what would you call them? They’re not quite arches… curves? Feather? I don’t know. Anyway they’re quite incredible. I would love to be able to look at that building with a knowledge of architecture, though from a dramatic, theatrical point of view, I have heard that the main stage has compromised on acoustics and sight lines to accommodate the aesthetics of the building. It’s still incredible though and I would love to see a performance there.

Onwards my wanderings took me to ‘the Rocks’ district of Sydney. Somewhere near Darling Harbour, I think. Irish pubs; cafes; chocolate shops; little, boutique arcades; a tiny museum; and market places. So much fun. I spent hours wandering around and could have spent a fortune. I didn’t though, just had plenty of free samples and brought a few little bits and pieces.
There was however an incredible artist at the back of the market place and I really regret not getting a picture of his work and how he did it. Anyone going to that area should really go and check him out. He seemed to be a permanent fixture.
He’s a spray can artist but not in a graffiti sense. He paints landscapes. He was painting a storm over a lake when I saw him. Layers of colour just in exactly the right place, scraping off the paint to make clear lines and definitions. The way he worked was incredible. Had I been sure I would be able to get a painting home without damaging it, I would have brought one. But it’s really worth just going and having a look at him work.

Took a ferry to Manly on the Sunday. Gotta love a place that has ferries as public transport. Can’t say I was overly impressed though. Nice as it was to see a beach, I do like to actually be able to see the sand not just the people, and it’s always better to be able to get to the water.

So while I didn’t really do a great deal in Sydney that weekend I did make a few plans of things I’d like to do, like going back to climb Harbour Bridge and spending some time walking in the Blue Mountains. Something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment