Tuesday 9 September 2014

Queensland Pt.2- Magnetic Island and Cairns

Part 2 is just a short post, before the amazingness of Barefoot tours, but not to be overlooked because Magnetic Island was also so incredible.

My Queensland trip was a Greyhound bus package thing, kind of an Aus experience trip, very different to Kiwi Ex, but we'll come to that another time. Greyhound buses run all over Australia, as individual trips, as packages, in all sorts of formats. My Aus Ex included the bus travel from Brisbane to Cairns because that's the distance I chose; tickets to and from Magnetic Island; and a Barefoot Tour.



So I was off for my trip to Magnetic Island. I wish I'd had so much more time there. It was beautiful. I did a lot of walking and exploring; off-path-ing and scrambling down cliffs to get to deserted beaches; and scrambling up hills and through trees to get the magnificent views and sunsets; and lying in hammocks; and walking along beaches with fallen coconuts lapping the shore in the surf. It was incredible, and tropical, and just amazing. I just needed another week there, just like I needed another week in Cairns, but more on Cairns shortly...
Watching the sunrise over the ocean, snorkeling in tropical waters, again; walking out onto the sea wall for a view of nothing but blue ocean... Paradise.

Basically Magnetic Island was everything I could wish for from an island. It is what I'd wrongly imagined Phillip Island would be- Perfect!

And on to Cairns and Asylum Hostel. Asylum was about the right name for it. The hostel itself would have left a lot to be desired, if it wasn't for the brilliant atmosphere there. Friendly and sociable, and more than a little bit crazy. Everyone knew everyone. Most of the guests seemed to be European, staying months at a time whilst working in Cairns. I definitely would have. The staff were great. I was reading my book on the sofas, outside, like only in Aus, and before long I was sucked into conversation around a table, and drinking Goon, and yes, I admit it, smoking weed.
Cairns was brilliant. Goon, not so much. It is a horrible thing; cheap boxed wine. It is lethal. I drank far too much of it whilst staying in Cairns, just how much is still disputed, but it did nearly make me very late and very hungover for my Barefoot Tour.




No comments:

Post a Comment