Thursday 31 July 2014

South Australia! (August 9th- Sept 16th)

So we spent nearly 6weeks based around Bordertown and Viclor Harbour in SA. For Casey it was the full 6weeks (working). I went off to New Zealand for the weeks in the middle of that.










Victor Harbour was lovely, so much so that Casey is now living there. We arrived on the 9th, spent a few days exploring and had found work by the 13th. Our exploring took us all over the peninsular south of Adelaide, above the Coorong wilderness which was beautiful in itself and without any modern amenities- it was not only where I saw my first wild emu but also my introduction to long drop toilets... pleasant, I think not.
We wandered right down to the Southern tip of the peninsula from where you can see Kangaroo Island, I do regret not going out there but you really can't do everything; spent many an evening enjoying the beach at Port Elliot; walked out to Victor Harbour's small Granite Island.
This island has a horse drawn tram to transport visitors over it's causeway, or you can walk.








The island is small enough to walk around in a couple of hours, and has it's own little penguins, though they're not there during the day and access to the island is not allowed during the night.


Still a pretty little island, though I think Casey preferred the fishing he did after... and actually caught a squid... the calamari was a disaster and the ink got everywhere while preparing it.

Wandered up as far as the suburbs of Adelaide where we stopped at Brighton, yes Brighton (they like their British place names) and spent the afternoon on the beach, again before heading to Mt Barker and cooking dinner in the wetlands and sleeping on the summit of the Mount(ain).










There really was not much in Bordertown, just a few white kangaroos and sheep, and as Casey was working in the shearing sheds, I spent a lot of the time I was there sweeping in the sheds too.

Main piece of advice from this rather mundane post is to be aware of the time differences as you cross from state to state. I thought I had missed my bus into Adelaide... turns out I hadn't changed the time on my phone to South Aus time and I was early... oops.
Also it's often a good idea to ask where hostels are. On arriving to Adelaide I wandered around until I found one just down the road from the main bus station. The people there were great... they cooked pancakes for breakfast and gave me a lift to the airport, but the bed was the most uncomfortable I slept in on the whole trip. Not the best experience.
(skeletal fish in Adelaide)

No comments:

Post a Comment